Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Monica, you don't get a pass

Monica Vanlentinelli, what part of the title of this blog did you not understand? This is not a safe space. Your comment here was fine, and I would have engaged to see about an interview via email. If you think I would act dishonestly, feel free to read from Bruno Faidutti, a real industry insider. Or email him, he's an honorable opponent ideologically.

Monica's comment:


Not offensive, perhaps aggressive and lacking logic skills, but  I could have worked with that. No, Valentinelli, you had to go complain on twitter and call me names. Not explicitly me, of course, but let's face it, you probably google yourself daily.

Monica's Tweets:


I'm apparently a misogynistic asshat. Well, I'm not so stupid I can't reason out the fact that the Firefly RPG, while of note, is small time. The two statements are not mutually exclusive. It's big enough game stores will carry it Firefly fans will buy  anything with the property attached. It's smaller than Savage Worlds, which I HAVE seen played in stores, as opposed to the Firefly RPG(either one)

I was not belittling your work and effort. Plenty of good authors work in small press.  As I stated, I got the bulk of my information from BoardgameGeek and RPGGeek when possible. While you may have worked for SJGames, I saw no credits on either 'Geek for such. My biggest error in discussing your work work is neglecting to mention your WoD work, and your part in the Mistborn book(which is bought almost exclusively by Sanderson fans).  But speaking at cons about gaming doesn't give you work credibility; it give you an opinion, like this blog does me. Owning/co-owning a game company doesn't mean you contributed anything to it but money. I back games on Kickstarter; does that make me a game insider?

As to my being misogynistic, you tweeted this:


No, your sex doesn't matter to me. It clearly matters more to you, as you made my commentary on the guest list out to be about sex, and not the work.  In fact, I would say you're projecting your misandry on me and switching the object:


Looks like someone hates the wargame crowd to me. The guys that really started the hobby? After all, Chainmail was a fantasy wargame, and Gygax spawned Dungeons and Dragons out of it. I personally think you hate white men. From your own blog:


So, which do you want to talk about? Sex, or your games? Or are you racist against whitey?


Speaking for myself, I would much rather talk about the games I’ve worked on, than justify my existence.
Personally, I think the Gen Con committee has the right approach, in part because I feel talking about diversity or gender balance on panels (which have seen an uptick in recent years) is the start of a much longer conversation.
- See more at: http://www.mlvwrites.com/category/blog-monica-valentinelli-2#sthash.hiqHddb2.dpuf
Speaking for myself, I would much rather talk about the games I’ve worked on, than justify my existence.
Personally, I think the Gen Con committee has the right approach, in part because I feel talking about diversity or gender balance on panels (which have seen an uptick in recent years) is the start of a much longer conversation.
- See more at: http://www.mlvwrites.com/category/blog-monica-valentinelli-2#sthash.hiqHddb2.dpuf

3 comments:

  1. Are these the kind of people who drove my crew out of gaming? No wonder we fled with these crazies dipping their hands into projects; mystery solved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No name no talent no achievement describes most of these people who have become expert voices in gaming
    35 years gaming and this is the worst it's ever been
    Gender politics don't belong on gaming and neither do these awful people

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's blocked me on twitter, and blogged more about how hateful I am, and tweeted about me behind the block.

    ReplyDelete