Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Injustice Anthology Review: Freedom's Light

Cower not, fierce reader! This day we have another anthology. Marina Fontaine sent me a copy of this AFTER I reviewed Forbidden Thoughts, so she knew what was possible. Happily, we don't have the hard duty today. I'm not going to go through every story this time. Instead, I'll continue in broad strokes about the anthology, with a few specific references.

This is not a science fiction or fantasy anthology. This is, instead, a FREEDOM anthology. There's historical fiction, science fiction, and what might be literary fiction.  One thing that I thought was interesting was the inclusion of Story Synopses at the beginning.  It was irrelevant to my reading, so I skipped it, but I could see it being useful for someone wanting a particular feel of story.

The historical fiction is honestly great. We open with one of those, and it's got some history I was unfamiliar with. The others are all fine, and each stands out on its own.

The science fiction is more along the dystopian future settings, but each one is different. The number and stylings of these may tire some, but I think  there's plenty of variety myself. Marina Fontaine gave us another glimpse into the world of Chasing Freedom, which is welcome. 

Brad Torgersen sent in a tale that may be from someone he knows, or patched together like a Solzenitsyn novel, where the details all happened, but not altogether, and in several places. Nick Cole also gives us a bit of military fiction, albeit more of a over the top, and feels a bit like a military Monty Python skit.

I am truly pleased that we have an anthology that doesn't have a disappointing story. While some felt less strong to me, none of these displeased. I am happy to give a solid recommendation for this anthology. 8 of 10 fell deeds

No comments:

Post a Comment