Saturday, January 28, 2017

Injustice Quick Reviews 2.1

Cower not, fierce reader! Yes, I'm going to version these by year. We have another fine selection of books for you to be engulfed in. Let us peruse the collection before us.


Maxwell Saga, books 2-5, by Peter Grant- Yes, I'm lumping them all together. The quality is consistent, and the story keeps flowing throughout, with gaps in time that let us see the next moments of import in Steve Maxwell's journey. Major crime: It's a military story with an awareness of national and racial prejudice and insularity, showing its good and bad points. 8 of 10 fell deeds

The Cinder Witch by Morgon Newquist- Morgon continues her magic school stories, and tells us a nice twist on the Cinderella story. The protagonists both grow through this story, and the relationship continues to build. Major crime: Healing involves facing and moving beyond the past. 7 of 10 fell deeds

  Pirates of Venus by Edgar Rice Burroughs- I read the John Carter books over a decade ago, and still I miss the local used bookstore that had old pulp galore. I had not, however read any of this series. I am completely amazed. Yes, even after reading Tarzan, John Carter, and some others of his, ERB still blows me away. Waiting for the movie, now. Major crime: It's by a dead white guy, who loved masculinity and femininity. 10 of 10 fell deeds. Yeah, I think it's that good.

Til Death: Second Impressions by Jason Anspach- Another mixture of semi-hard boiled detective and ghosts and spies. Solid storytelling that helps confirm why Nick Cole is working with him.  Major crime: More commie punching fun. 7 of 10 fell deeds.
 
A Place Outside the Wild by Daniel Humphreys- Mr. Humphreys provided me with a copy of this, and I'm glad he did. Most zombie stories I've encountered do try to do something unique with it's zombies, and while this has an interesting and frightening take, that's not the best part of the book. This book purposely has what other zombie books I've encountered lack: a sense of existential hope. That is, a communal hope, rather than a purposeful individual hope, or  worse, lack of hope. Religion plays a welcome role in this story, if incomplete due to the perspective characters' parts in the community and story.  Currently, Mr. Humphreys is in a clear shot at my Dragon Award postapocalyptic nomination. Sorry, Nick Cole, you've got your work cut out for you. 9 of 10 fell deeds

When you play Social Justice, the world loses.

2 comments:

  1. I am now very intrigued by A Place Outside the Wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be glad to send you a review copy. ;) Hit me up on Twitter, @NerdKing52.

      Delete