Sunday, May 21, 2017

Injustice Quick Reviews 2.7

Cower not, fierce reader! As usual, we have a selection of tomes sure to trigger the SocJus inclined.  One author is being revisited, and the rest are couple new to the blog, including the pulp author for this installment. To the book!

Knights of the End by J D Cowan - This is a bit of a coming of age story that's part superhero, part supernatural. I am reminded in many good ways of Swan Knight's Son, though this book never attains that soaring height and depth. As it stands this is still a fine tale of good vs. evil, with worlds at stake, and worlds already lost. Major crime: Redemption of one almost lost to the world. 8 of 10 fell deeds.

Sabercat by T L Knighton- I've been following Mr. Knighton on Facebook for awhile, and this is the first fiction I've read of his. And while there are many areas that are reminiscent of Firefly(on purpose), there are plenty of differences, and this looks to become something larger as far as the story goes. Major crime: Collusion of corrupt government officials(that NEVER happens!) 7 of 10 fell deeds.

Galactic Derelict by Andre Norton -  I had NO idea what I was in for when I started this. I know she's one of the Appendix N authors, but hadn't gotten to reading her work til now. I must hang my head in shame, this is an excellent tale of time and space travel. The ending feels a touch abrupt, but otherwise, I've no complaints. Major crime: People, not just civilizations fall. We do not progress infinitely. 9 of 10 fell deeds.

Cadain's Watch by Daniella Bova-  I have not read the previous books, nor do I think it necessary. This is a solid near-future tale, with skillful writing. SJW's have taken over the USA, and this is a tale of resistance.  I am not, however the target audience: I found there to be way too many conversations, and too many scenes. This may be in part due to my hanging out with the Appendix N crowd, but I felt the book was about a third too long. Major crime: Opposing the narrative, of course. 6 of 10 fell deeds.

Crazy Horses by David J. West- We have another Western from Mr. West, and this one drifts far more toward the Weird Western genre. Mr. West's dialog seems to be a bit more solid, and there was no problem with the creepy bits he introduced. We have a slaver, a demonic entity, an obsessed and useless lawman, and more play with the untamed areas of the West. Major crime: Standing by one's word when it is inconvenient.  8 of 10 fell deeds.

 When you play Social Justice, the world loses.

2 comments:

  1. You have not read Andre Norton until now? You poor, deprived lad. You are in for a heck of a ride if you continue reading her work, and I highly recommend that you do so.

    Keep in mind that Galactic Derelict is part of a series (Ms. Norton had many) which may explain the abruptness of the ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have a lot to read. I even have some paperbacks of hers I haven't gotten too yet, but BACKLOG.

      Delete