Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Injustice Quick Reviews 7

Cower not, fierce reader! We have a collection of fine works today, including one that likely won't trigger anyone. Let the charges commence!

Star Realms: Rescue Run by Jon Del Arroz- Yes, this is a licensed property, based on the deck building game. The author is new to the world of novels, but wrote the flavor fiction for Doomtown: Reloaded, and was quite good at that; he sent me a copy for review after getting bashed by liberals for a few days. Fighting, intrigue, corrupt corporations, and a magnetic central character. Major crime: not trusting either government 7 of 10 fell deeds.

Murphy's Law of Vampires by Declan Finn- Yeah, I know, he's put a lot out lately, and I read it all. We get more of the Honor at Stake characters, I do recommend reading Honor first(more for fun, I think it works on its own), and as there's vampires, Vatican ninjas, some decent  theological points, and some great action, get on it if you haven't. Seriously. READ THIS BOOK! Major crime:  So many elements that it doesn't fit nicely anywhere; oh, lots of Catholicism, too. 9 of 10 fell deeds.

'Til Death by Jason Anspach- This was Mr. Anspach's first novel, and I thought I should read it after his fine Wyrd Western short. This book has a little self-awareness to it, and that's an enjoyable touch. We've got the Cold War, Russian spies, a dead financier, and on top of it all, people come back as Returns occasionally to correct something from their lives. Major crime: I did mention we've got a fight against Commies, right? 8 of 10 fell deeds.

The Eden Plague by David VanDyke- I grabbed this due to the Castalia House announcement of their publishing print editions, as I hadn't heard of them (Somewhither was my impetus for an ebook reader). And now I have more proof of the publishing establishment being completely out of touch. This book was full of action, internal conflict, cool sf ideas, and moral dilemmas. Corporate bad guys seeking power and major government conspiracies are full in play. Major crime: An acknowledgement that we are all broken. 9 of 10 fell deeds.

 Days of Future Past by John Van Stry- First, a caveat: this book has a very active love triangle, so some may wish to pass. Now: This is a nice combination of apocalyptic and fantastic fiction, with action enough to satisy, good characterizations, and a proper chunk of attitude. Mr. Van Stry did provide me with this copy, and I'm genuinely glad for having read it. Major crime: Distrust of authority, and an authority that consistently shows it can't be trusted. 8 of 10 fell deeds.

When you play Social Justice, the world loses.

No comments:

Post a Comment